ORGANIC RYE, kernels
Hurry up! Sales Ends In
Botanical Name: Secale cereale
Production: unprocessed, whole kernel
Rye co-evolved as a weed together with wheat and barley for over 2,000 years in Southeast Asia until its value as a distinct crop was recognized. It has great agricultural significance as it can withstand cold temperatures and flourish in poor soil conditions and often serves as a winter cover crop and natural weed suppressant.
Qualities: unique to rye is the high level of fiber in both its endosperm and its bran. Because of this, rye products tend to have a lower glycemic index compared to products made from most other grains, making them especially healthy for diabetics. Rye is also a rich and versatile source of dietary fiber, especially a type of fiber called arabinoxylan, known for its high antioxidant activity.
It contains phenolic acids, lignans, alkylresorcinols and many other compounds with potential bioactivities. Research indicates that consuming whole grain rye has many benefits including improved bowel health, better blood sugar control and reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, as well as overall weight management due to improved satiety (feeling full longer after eating). Rye is an excellent source of Selenium and Manganese and Magnesium, and the cholesterol lowering B vitamins Folate, Riboflavin, Niacin and Thiamin. Rye flour is high in Gliadin but low in Glutenin and therefore has a lower gluten content than wheat flour.
- Milled, rye flour is traditionally used to create German or Eastern European sourdough breads but also lends itself well to crisp breads, crackers, cookies, cakes and muffins, including pumpernickel. Rye flour makes excellent sourdough starter and is prized for the unique strong flavour that it imparts. Using rye flour yields baked goods that are moist and dense, with a slightly sour flavor. The gluten in rye is similar in character to the gluten in pastry flour, which is low, and is therefore often used in combination with wheat flour (bread flour or all-purpose). Light rye flour can be successfully substituted for 40% of wheat flour in a recipe without loss of volume. Medium and dark rye flours should be limited to 30% and 20%, respectively, of the total flour amount. Complimentary spices for rye include anise seed, dill and caraway.
- Flaked, it can be cooked into a fresh porridge or use it in your favorite fruit crisp topping, muesli, granola or dessert bars
- Sprouted, you can enjoy the whole kernels in a raw, high fiber breakfast cereal by soaking grains overnight or 10-12 hrs in the refrigerator. This has the added benefit of activating the seed enzymes, making the grain more digestible and nutritious. You can sprout them further and sprinkle on salads, sandwiches, or juice into smoothies.
- Boiled or pressure cooked it serves a delightful, chewy, and versatile rice substitute or in soups, salads, risottos and fillings. As with any of the wheat berries, if you pre soak cooking time can be reduced. To cook, bring two parts water to one part rye kernels to a boil and simmer 35 minutes for a firmer Al Dente" texture or 45-60 minutes for a softer texture. Drain and enjoy!
- Rye is also used to make alcoholic drinks, like rye whiskey and rye beer.
Storage: keeps well in a sealed container in a cool, dry, and dark location
Disclaimer: this information is for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the FDA or CFIA. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This product has been packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, and other potential allergens.
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread?
Very good product!Use it for porridge (soak grains during the day and fire up slow cooker before bedtime to wake up to a solid breakfast) and real Pumpernickel bread (the one that is steamed for 12+ hours).Thank you for providing this good grain at a very reasonable price.D.
First, thank you for following up and appreciate concerning your customer satisfaction. We receive the parcel in good condition and delivered on the tracking schedule in a good shape, so please keep the same service. Also, the quality of the Rye was very good, and we used it in our R&D research purpose. Warm RegardsAli